Usability must be one of the primary goals inherent in every website in order to consistently drive traffic. Without easy navigation or an intuitive interface, one risks having your message overlooked by users. Today’s web experience has set new expectations regarding information accessibility and speed.
Website usability is a topic that we have previously debated in our blog posts, and one which we want to elaborate with further tips and best practices.
1. Make your visitors come back to your website. Your main purpose is to deliver a positive experience to your users and to engage them to take further actions on your website like subscribing to your blog, purchasing a product, or asking for a price quote. How do you create the lasting impression which results in sustaining users to return to your site time and again? You need to think like the future users of your website when you develop it – make sure navigation is easy, strategic information is accessible, pages do not take long to load, and the user has control over their browsing experience.
2. Keep it simple. This should be a golden rule for both web design and for content structure. Improve your website’s readability by employing minimal graphics and consistent fonts throughout your web pages. Spacing is essential for your website and for capturing user attention, so make sure you arrange your website strategically. Allocate space to content, but keep it short. Imagine your users are reading their morning newspaper!
3. Keep it consistent. Visitors are coming to your website for a reason and they will be frustrated when you fall short of the hope of delivering relevant content. Whether they come to find essential information on your business services or to read articles on a specific subject, your website needs to effectively provide sufficient information to meet your visitors’ expectations.
4. Check for errors regularly. Make sure your HTML code is designed to display correctly in all browser versions. Check your site regularly for any broken links. Also ensure that your site hosting provider is reliable in order to avoid site downtime.
5. Know your users. This will help you create an intuitive website by anticipating what your users’ interests are as well as their online actions and behaviors. It will also help you in your challenge to create a customized message and a unique approach that is appealing to your users.
At CodeMyIMAGE, we believe that the simple, relevant content and the navigation experience of your visitors are essential to making your website appropriate for your business and noticeable in the online environment. Keep these five usability tips in mind for your designs and you will be sure to provide a very efficient, intuitive user experience.