In our latest article, we provided a list of some of the most popular e-commerce platforms together with their primary features. In today’s blog post, we will discuss the most important features of an ecommerce website and will offer some tips and suggestions to building an effective ecommerce website.
Competition among online stores is so strong one may only survive by focusing on two key aspects: understanding what customers want and how to ease the buying process. Usually, the cleanest and most practical website design will make it simple for your customers to buy. So, a user friendly site is a critical component.
Before starting down the path to create an ecommerce website, one should factor in concepts like:
- Simplicity: The website design should be simple, because complicated and excessive backgrounds can distract the website’s visitors. You should choose background colors that will not distract users’ attention from the product itself.
- Speed: If it takes too long to download, users can easily turn away from your website and purchase items from another online competitor. Design a web page that loads quickly.
- Usability: Consider providing more avenues in order for the user to find items, since customers look for products in many different ways. Some know exactly what they are looking for; others only have a perceived notion. Customers should be able to quickly navigate through an items database and easily find what they need. Provide a logical category structure and put your items in more than one category. Showcase featured products on your website’s homepage to let your customers know what products they might be interested in. Keep your search bar visible and accessible.
- Product presentation: Product images play a fundamental role in the purchase process. Use clear images with high resolution. Furthermore, think of using more than one picture and display the item from more than one view. Give users the opportunity to zoom in and out and turn around products. Keep the product description text simple and accurate and use clear and brief titles.
- Checkout: Too many pages in the purchase path can be the reason why one doesn’t complete his/her online sale or leaves the shopping cart. Simplify the checkout process by designing a step-by-step process or a one-page checkout. Also, make sure your checkout forms are not too long.
At CodeMyIMAGE, we believe creating effective ecommerce websites requires a clear understanding of the available technology and knowledge about the way different users browse websites. We are aware that, for any resulting online order, ecommerce websites need to support a great user experience.