Recently, there has been an explosion in the areas of smartphone and tablet development, addressing the demands of on-the-go display of information. Users’ appetite for Mobile web is increasing day by day as more and more companies launch mobile-optimized interfaces. If you are considering a move to mobile to provide easy online access for your customers anytime and anywhere, then you should think about optimizing your website for mobile devices.
Developing websites for mobile devices is somehow different than designing them for desktops. Some aspects, like user attention, usability and screen size variations play a more critical role in the design of mobile websites.
Before starting to develop a mobile website, one should take into consideration features like:
- User friendly navigation. One of the first things you should keep in mind is simplification. Focus on the most critical elements and basic navigation options to address and simplify, as these components are fundamental for keeping visitors on your mobile website. Considering some Internet connections are slow, and limitations on device screen space, it is key to make sure users have access to the information that is most important for them to meet their needs.
- Second, don’t forget that many mobile devices have a touchscreen interface. You should think of creating bigger clickable areas around links, and placing more space between close links and increasing button size. Eliminate images that don’t benefit in delivering your message to customers. No one benefits from slow loading images that scroll up and down and left to right on their Smartphone. Additionally, limit scrolling to one direction, as much as possible.
- Pop-ups and new windows can disturb the browsing process and interrupt your customer’s visit on the website. This approach should be avoided as much as possible, but if it is absolutely necessary to open something in a new window, make your visitors aware so they know what to expect.
- Relevant content. The content displayed should be highly user-focused. Don’t consider banner ads or any other kinds of internet advertising for the mobile version of your website.
- Screen size variations. Because of the continuous development of mobile technologies, designers should stay in-tune with the latest developments in screen sizes offerings. But remember, that any mobile website should work on not only modern mobile devices but also on those that that are still in use.
At CodeMyIMAGE we believe that mobile websites must be easy to use and accessible. We have experience in optimizing mobile websites and we can help your business achieve an effective presence in the mobile web zone.